Friday, September 10, 2010

G Love E- Chillin On the G Spot



My friend's father owned a record store until it went out of business. In her house are left over tapes that didn't sell. This was one of the tapes.

I first heard this on a bluff in Portland, OR, overlooking the city and my golly.. its a banger. Its early 90's dance party rap at its best full of vocoders, smooth synths, heavy bass lines and great hooks.

I scoured the internet looking for this album with no success so I ordered it online for the total of $2.44, including shipping. Pretty played I must say on G Love's credibility and success but whatever.

I received the album and went immediately over to my friend's house to get blunted, listen to the album and play Super Mario Brothers. We listened to the album 2 times in a row laughing dancing and dissecting some of the amazing lines that G Love thought up. "Now when I go to a club, I don't go just for dancing/ I go to take my pick of the girls who might be glancing". Operative word in this is might...MIGHT be glancing. So if G Love catches you at the club and he thinks you might have glanced at him from across the floor, he's probably gonna confront you about it. What a charmer.

The song "Fly" is about a fly thats in his house and he can't get rid of it so he shoots his gun at it reminding me of Beavis and Butthead. "Step to it" has one of the most feel good melodies I've heard in quite some time utilizing a 16 bit bassline which made playing Super Mario more legit. "Don't Talk About It" sends out a really positive message about acquiring your goals over a really corny R&B voice reminiscent of Tony Toni Tone. It is very inspiring in truth after watching this. Ultimately, G Love E is the man. He is diverse; he can rap, he can sing, he can be a little bit gangsta, he can inspire, he can charm your girl and he will make you mad that you or anyone you know has never bought/heard this album.


No comments:

Post a Comment